Case Studies

Frederick Export takes college pride global.


Company: The Cotton Exchange, North Carolina, USA
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Project:
How do you make the students of a country known for its modesty declare their love for their colleges? That was the challenge of taking a collegiate apparel brand into Japan. Read more about how Frederick Export helped this company gain a foothold in a sophisticated market across the world and avoid factory layoffs at home.

Situation:
The Cotton Exchange is a collegiate apparel brand with a strong foothold in the Southeast U.S. They produce their product in the U.S. and serve an incredibly saturated American market.

Challenge:
With the tough economic times of 2008, The Cotton Exchange needed to find new business opportunities to counter weakening traditional points of sale. The financial health of the company, and its 700 strong U.S. employees depended on it.

Results:
Frederick Export was able to access its field sales team in Japan and make a connection with key Japanese universities. The company constructed a sales/marketing effort that was both effective and culturally appropriate.

Now apparel sales have been established in major schools such as Tokyo University and Waseda University. Yearly growth has exceeded 25% and competing apparel brands are trying to follow The Cotton Exchange into this leading export market. This midsize brand has set a new standard for international initiative.

 

Making music stand sales sing.


Company: Manhasset Specialty Company, Washington, USA
Location: Europe

Project:
With 80% share in America’s music stand market, Manhasset Specialty Company needed an international growth strategy. Read how Frederick Export took this company from virtually unknown to well-known in the European Union.

Situation:
Manhasset music stands have captured about 80% of the market share in the U.S. This is good news and bad news, as new sales were becoming more difficult to find. The stand-maker needed to break into new markets.

Challenge:
As it happens, Manhaset was an unknown brand in the European market, where youth music education and symphony/orchestra programs — Manhasset’s target audience —play an important role. But they faced stiff competition; the strongest brand in Europe sold in Euros and shipped from Germany, which meant reduced shipping costs. Manhasset music stands were heavy and priced in U.S. dollars, making small shipments from the across the Atlantic cost-prohibitive.

Results:
Frederick Export went to work, creating a shipping hub for the stands from a bonded warehouse in the Netherlands. This expedited shipping, improved customer service, and reduced transatlantic freight overhead.

Today Manhasset is selling to distributors in 17 European countries. Sales to six of these countries are now large enough for them to purchase full container orders directly from the factory in Washington.

The other countries, especially the emerging markets of Eastern Europe, are able to take smaller shipments from the warehouse at cost-effective prices. Manhasset also introduced a special educator program exclusively from the warehouse to further increase sales in the European academic segment. And young musicians everywhere are enjoying American ingenuity every time they play.

 

Pulling the right strings to boost global sales.


Company: Rotosound Manufacturing, London, England
Location: London, England

Project:
The guitar string market is robust in Britain, but there’s a bigger slice of the pie internationally. Read more about how Frederick Export grew this guitar string innovator sales by more than 30% in two years.

Situation:
Rotosound makes strings for electric and bass guitars.

Challenge:
Despite being an innovator in the market for 50 years, the company was only selling small amounts of electric guitar strings outside Britain.

Results:
Frederick Export re-invigorated the brand by working with the factory to update the packaging, sales materials and promotions. A global sales guide was produced, pricing structures were refigured, and Frederick Export staff traveled to key markets to visit dealers and distributors to educate them on selling Rotosound electric guitar strings.

Results:
Since the program introduction in 2007, electric guitar string sales have grown 15% each year. Overall export sales worldwide grew 15% in 2008 and 30% in 2009. And Rotosound has had to expand their guitar string production capacity twice since the new program started. That’s not just success. That’s music to our ears.

 

For more information on our specific experience and expertise, contact us.